Monday, September 08, 2003

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE




Update time- September, school, D.C., turn on brain (that last one is definitely a problem since I've done such a bang up job of drowning idle brain cells in mass quantities of alcohol!! And I'm so good at it too!). And so I find myself a poor college student once again, not that I've ever been rich in this lifetime, and poor as shit would probably be a better qualification! Love it!

I have a lovely new apartment in a FABULOUS location in D.C., my neighborhood is great, my roommates are cool, and I find myself with all these GREAT decoration ideas...just no way to fund them. But what Iack in furniture, I make up for in plants, it would seem I'm trying to grow a mini rain forest system in a brick building, now i just need some heat and neckedness!

Speaking of happy, I am extremely so!!! School is fantastic!!! I'm at American University, in the International Peace and Conflict Resolution Program with a concentration in International Development. The last two and a half weeks have confirmed it--I am in the right place. The program is perfectly designed for me, it's a bunch of hippies trying to heal the world, although the free love thing is a problem here since the ratio of men to women in D.C. is about 1:6 and on campus it's about 1:9!!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T I JUST BE A LESBIAN?!!!! Everything would be so much simpler!!!

Right, what were we talking about? Ah, yes, my professors are phenomenal!! From all different backgrounds and field experiences, my courses are interesting, relevant, and right on target, and my fellow students are great!! I'm completely overwhelmed with all of these great individuals, who have already done so many fascinating things with their lives, and who are all so genuine! I love this place!

On the first day I invited 80 to my house for dinner...why is my mouth so big???? And in the first week I found myself V.P. of the Students for a Free Palestine Organization, a mentor to undergrads where I hold a class once a week, doing research for a Democracy and Peace in Africa program, on a student board to organize panel discussions and conferences here at the university, and beginning Arabic classes in October...maybe I should take a deep breath before hoping into anything else??? Maybe?

At any rate, everything has fallen into place for me and I'm loving it, even though I read for 7 1/2 hours straight yesterday and didn't even put a DENT into my work for this week!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Nonetheless, though I've been an ass about keeping in touch, you have been in my thoughts and I promise not to fall off the face of the earth completely, though I may get a little lost from time to time! I hope you haven't cursed me to hell, remember forgiveness is....is...hell--I don't know you religious people say, I would just love to hear from you!!!!

No comments: