Saturday, April 20, 2002

Coming Home.....

Well my friends,

I have been evacuated.

Since we last talked much has happened on this island, in my region, in my mind and in my heart. I could tell you about the bombings, the bolwing up of bridges, the killings, the assinations, the cutting of communication, the closing of all airports, the torture, the madness. I could tell you about leaving my village, their sadness and tears, their numerous gifts and well wishes, how they locked mu house told me it would always be mine, how they would wait there for me, how i must return home--my village. I could tell you about the fury of emtions i have though...no actually I'm not sure I could. I could tell you about our evacuation drama, how we had to travel hours upon hours of bad roads trying to find an airport where our hired plane would not be shot down. I could tell you so much more.

Instead I will tell you that I am safe and well. I have already started my move from grief to gratitude for every second I was given on this island. Leaving is bittersweet--my heart hurts to leave and jumps with joy to see you all soon. Forgive me, there is so much to say, but I have not yet found the words with which to tell you.

We have to go to kenya for a couple of weeks, I do not know yet when i will be home but I will be in touch...and I will be fine. So I'm sorry to say that this is the last in the series of letters from Madagascar-I fly out tomorrow morning.

I do want take one more moment to thank you for your emails and letters, I know many of them could not get through and I apologize for that, but several did in the last couple of weeks and there is no way to tell you how much they meant to me. Without your communication there is no way I could have found happiness here--it was in that balance between my two worlds that i was able to thrive. I am now in search of balance once again.

From the bottom of my heart--thank you,
all my love,
aisha

No comments: